Wednesday, August 27, 2008

[Back to School]

08.26.08

Justin's first day of his senior year started today! Holy crap...I can't believe he's a SENIOR!! Craziness!!

Justin enjoys writing, especially essays, so his Language Arts teacher last year recommended that he take an AP English class this year. I didn't think it was a good idea because he has struggled as a student (doing homework, paying attention, going to class) and I didn't know if this would be too much for him. But he wanted to do it and I wanted to support/encourage him so he pre-registered for it. Almost as soon as school let out for summer, he started having second thoughts about it. At registration he visited his counselor and was told to get out of an AP class he'd have to get a signature from me, the teacher and the vice principal. Okay...easier said than done! I didn't want him to have to wait until the start of school because then he'd be missing classes to get it taken care of but tracking down the teacher was impossible for several days! She was either not in, attending inservices or whatever. It was so frustrating. If we had just known when she's be there (which we might of if she'd ever returned a phone call!!) he could of been there when she was. Instead, he had to go down to the school several times a day for several days before he caught her. FRUSTRATING! He was getting very annoyed to be wasting so much time...and I don't blame him! In the meantime I talked to the vice principal so there wouldn't be any issues with getting his signature (they don't like to let kids out of classes they signed up for in the spring). He understood my concerns and was surprised that that he was in an AP class to begin with (yah, me too! Not because he isn't smart enough...just doesn't have enough drive/desire.). Anyway, he finally got out of that class and into a regular Senior English. YAY!

With moving his schedule around to accommodate his new English class, he also had to move/change some others. Now he has the 3rd class of each day as 'Home Release', so no class. I don't mind home release but in the middle of the day is stupid. Unfortunately it wasn't available 1st or 4th. I sure hope this won't be a temptation for missing the last class of the day! And if it is a temptation, I sure hope he resists! Another class he got into was Yoga. Personally, I hate yoga (maybe because in the class I took, the teacher assumed we knew what was going on and didn't 'teach' us the positions...). When he got home from school, he said he loved it! I asked if it was because there are a lot of chicks in there or because of the class itself. He said there are a lot of chicks but he also enjoys yoga! He said it was very relaxing. I think it's awesome he is taking a class that not a lot of guys would. Just like Nic taking sewing for two years. Way to go sons!

YAY, it was a great first day back to school for Justin!

2 comments:

Jill said...

WOW!!! I cannot believe he is a senior either!

Nicole *Ü* said...

Holy cow! He's a SENIOR??? Wow. Crazy. That's cool he's taking yoga and that Nic took sewing. Ted took sewing too. We used to have this hoodie thing he made (it was out of regular cottony material, not sweatshirt material), but we eventually DI'd it. We should have saved it!! Anyway, I always loved all the guys in my home ec classes. It made it fun!