Wednesday, July 16, 2008

[George Ramon (Ray) Hoecherl]

07.09.08

My aunt Debi called me the morning of July 9, 2008 to tell me that my Grandpa Hoecherl died. After his second wife died in March, he'd been living with his youngest daughter Mindy and her family. Apparently he'd been outside watering flowers in the backyard and died out there. Mindy's daughter Katie and her friend found him 1-2 hours later and called 911. Katie (she's 11) did CPR on him until the paramedics got there. Because he was out in the sun and water for who knows how long, he looked pretty bad. I hope Katie is able to deal with this okay...poor kid.

I offered to go with Debi, Mindy and T to make arrangements for the funeral as a representative of my Dad's family. I'm so glad I did...I really think they appreciated it and I think I was even a help!

Debi and Mindy really wanted to do a 'wake' in celebration of his life and T really wanted a traditional funeral. We ended up doing both and it turned out really nice. Instead of doing the traditional viewing the night before, we did the family/close friends only wake. It was at Stark's Funeral Parlor and they did a very nice job. Hors d'oeuvres where served along with water/punch while everyone mingled and reminisced about Grandpa. A room was set up for the kids with movies and kid snacks. It was really nice.

The funeral the next day was nice too. Everyone on the program did a great job and I loved that Grandpa's kids wanted to involve every family as much as possible. A few things were placed in the casket with him that reminded us of him. He has worn Elsha cologne forever and it is definitely a 'Grandpa' scent for me. I added Wrigley's Spearmint Gum. He always had this gum ready to give to us.







In the obituary below the part that says "Pugsley" was my idea even though some didn't want it in. I really appreciate that everyone compromised and was willing to work with others needs/wants. Anyway, the reason I wanted it in there was my Dad always called his Dad "Pugsley" and his Mom "Mugsley" (my Dad had a nickname for everyone!) and I thought it was a nice touch to have a part of him there.

Debi's kids were very close to Grandpa, he has been the constant father figure in their lives. I love the pictures I got of Mike kissing the casket and Seth saluting it, I just wish I could of captured it better but I did the best I could with everyone walking around. I know Debi will love them.



I no longer have any grandparents alive... Even though I didn't see my Grandpa very often and didn't have a very close relationship with him, I have great memories and will miss him especially his sense of humor (love it!). Love you Grandpa!





George Ramon (Ray) Hoecherl Together At Last Our loving father, grandfather, brother, uncle and friend reunited with his bride of 58 years on July 9th, 2008.He was born the first of four boys on April 21, 1929 in Salt Lake City, Utah to George and Ethel Hoecherl. After a whirlwind courtship he married the love of his life, Verda Elaine Smith on November 29th, 1947. Their marriage was later solemnized in the Salt Lake Temple. He was devoted to his family and worked hard for them his whole life. He served faithfully in many church callings and was a significant support to his wife in her lifelong work with handicapped youth. He was a good man who taught us by example. He loved to tell jokes and stories. We love and miss you, Pugsley. He is survived by his children, T (Valerie), daughter-in-law, Sally, Debi Ellis, Troy (Pam), Mindy (Patrick) Jones; 28 grandchildren; 41 great-grandchildren with three on the way; brother, Lee (Patty). In addition to his wife, Verda he is preceded in death by his son, Kirk; second wife Elizabeth; brothers Bill and Larry; and a great-grandson, Cody. Funeral Services will be held on Monday, July 14th at 11 a.m. at the Meadowview Ward, 4575 W. 5415 S., Kearns, with a viewing one hour prior to services. Online condolences may be offered to the family at www.starksfuneral.com.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Celeste for the pictures and comments on Grandpa's funeral. I couldn't be there and I really appreciate reading your blog and having my own "Grandpa moments"

Terry (Tank)